4 oz. Germans sweet chocolate
5 Tablesp. butter
3 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup + 1 Tablesp. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teasp. vanilla extract
1/2 teasp. baking powder
1/4 teasp. salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
1/4 teasp. almond extract
|1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x9x2-inch baking pan and set aside.
2. Melt chocolate and 3 Tablesp. butter in a small heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly; cool and set aside.
3. Cream remaining 2 Tablesp. butter with cream cheese in medium bowl until soft. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, creaming until light and fluffy. Blend in 1 egg, 1 Tablesp. flour, and 1/2 teasp. vanilla; set aside.
4. Beat remaining 2 eggs in second medium bowl until thick and light. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick. Add baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup flour. Blend in cooled chocolate mixture, nuts, almond extract, and remaining 1 teasp. vanilla. Measure 1 cup chocolate batter and reserve.
5. Spread remaining chocolate batter in pan. Top with cheese mixture. Drop reserved chocolate batter from tablespoon onto cheese mixture, then swirl with a spatula to marbeleize. Bake 35-40 minutes, until brownies begin pulling from sides of pan.
6. Cool to room temperature in pan on wire rack, then cut into bars or squares.
|submitted by Sally Bonebrake one of Hollywood's finest music copyists, who has worked with Jazz artist Wayne Shorter and on motion pictures such as X-Men, Batman and Robin, Batman and Beyond, Save the Last Dance, and Exorcist III.|